I decided a rainy day baking session was in order.
For the sponge:
175g caster sugar
1 lemon, juice & zest
1tsp vanilla extract
175g self-raising flour
For the filling:
100g lemon curd
250g mascarpone cream
50ml single cream
50g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 200'C. Grease and line two 9 inch (22.5cm) cake tins.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, then add the eggs, lemon juice, zest and vanilla. Beat until well combined, then fold in the sifted flour with a spatula.
- Divide the mixture between the tins and bake for 20 minutes until golden. Allow to cool.
- For the filling beat together the mascarpone cream, single cream and icing sugar until well combined.
- Spread the curd over one of the cakes, the mascarpone filling over the other, and then sandwich together. Dust with icing sugar.